- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain brown rice, rinsed
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 scallions, cut into 1-inch pieces, white and green parts separated
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 14 ounce container firm tofu, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 pint grape tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
In a medium saucepan, combine the rice and 2 1/4 cups water over medium-low heat. Cover and cook until the water is absorbed, 40 to 45 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, scallion whites and crushed red pepper and stir until fragrant. Add the mushrooms and season with salt and black pepper. Cook until the mushroom liquid evaporates, about 3 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a plate.
Add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil and the tofu to the pan and cook until golden on one side, then toss to brown throughout, about 3 minutes. Push the tofu to the side of the pan and add the tomatoes and oyster sauce. Cook until the tomatoes begin to soften, about 1 minute. Return the mushrooms to the pan and stir in the scallion greens. Serve with the rice