- 1 pound spaghetti
- 1 medium red onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 red chile pepper, preferably fresno, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley (a couple of handfuls)
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1 cup chicken stock or clam juice
- 1/4 cup EVOO (extra-virgin olive oil)
- 6 anchovy fillets
- 1 28 ounce can whole, peeled italian tomatoes
Bring a pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain the pasta.
Meanwhile, using a food processor, puree the onion, chile, garlic, parsley, thyme, bay leaves and lemon zest with a splash stock (or clam juice).
In a large saucepan, heat the EVOO, 4 turns of the pan, and the anchovies over medium-high heat until the anchovies melt. Add the onion-chile paste and stir for 3 to 4 minutes. Add the tomatoes and remaining stock (or clam juice), breaking up the tomatoes with a spoon. Cook the sauce until thickened, about 20 minutes. Toss the spaghetti with the sauce.