Recipe by Rachael Ray
Green Garlic Sauce
- 3 scallions, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro or parsley tops
- 2 limes, juiced (about 1/4 cup)
- 3 large cloves garlic, crushed
- About 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
Shrimp & Tacos
- 1 1/2 lbs. medium-large shrimp (about 36)—peeled, deveined and tails removed
- 1 tsp. (about 1/3 palmful) each cumin, chili powder and granulated onion
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp. canola or olive oil
- Cayenne pepper sauce, to taste
- 1 lime, juiced (about 2 tbsp.), or 1 lemon, juiced (about 1/4 cup), plus small wedges to serve with toppings
- 12 small (5- to 6-inch) soft corn tortillas
- 1/2 head white cabbage or iceberg lettuce, shredded
- Diced or thinly sliced avocado
- Crumbled queso fresco or queso asadero
- Thinly sliced radishes
- Pickled jalapeño slices
1. In a blender, puree the green garlic sauce ingredients with 1/4 cup water.
2. For the tacos, heat a large skillet or griddle over medium-high. In a medium bowl, toss the shrimp, cumin, chili powder and granulated onion; season with salt and pepper. Add the oil to the skillet, one turn of the pan. Cook the shrimp, turning occasionally, until just opaque in the centers and browned at the edges, about 2 minutes. Add a few dashes cayenne sauce to the shrimp and douse with the lime juice.
3. In a large, dry skillet over high heat or directly over the open flame on a gas stovetop, cook the tortillas, turning occasionally, until charred in spots, about 2 minutes.
4. Fill the tortillas with the cabbage, avocado, shrimp, green garlic sauce, cheese, radishes and pickled jalapeño slices.
Read now: One Quick Hack for Dicing Avocados