- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 1/2 pounds ground lamb
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fennel seeds or fennel pollen
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- A few large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 large piece of orange zest
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 - 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 28 ounce can san marzano tomatoes or 11-12 peeled and cored plum tomatoes
1. In a large skillet, heat the EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, over high heat. Add the lamb and brown it, without stirring, about 5 minutes. Stir; cook for 2 minutes.
2. Lower the heat to medium-low; add the fennel seeds and crushed red pepper. Stir in the onion, garlic and rosemary; cook for 5 minutes. Add the orange zest and bay leaf. Stir in the tomato paste for 1 minute. Pour in the wine; cook until reduced by half. Stir in the stock, then the tomatoes. Cook until thickened, 30 minutes. Discard the zest and bay leaf.