- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 12 chicken wings, tips discarded and wings separated at the joint
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 3 ounces dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
In a large, heavy skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken wings and cook, turning occasionally, until browned, about 5 minutes; transfer to a plate. Add the garlic, chili powder and allspice and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in the tomato sauce, scraping up the browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Add 1 cup water, the chocolate, hot sauce and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring, until the chocolate is melted.
Return the wings to the pan, lower the heat, cover and simmer until the wings are cooked through and the sauce is reduced to a thick glaze, about 20 minutes. Sprinkle with the cilantro.