- 1 32 ounce container (4 cups) chicken stock
- 1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 pound bulk sweet Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, quartered lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 5 - 6 cups packed sliced cavolo nero (also called tuscan kale, dinosaur kale or lacinato kale)
- Salt and pepper
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 cup mini penne or mezzi rigatoni pasta
- 1 15 ounce can white or cannellini beans, rinsed
- Freshly grated pecorino-romano cheese
- Ciabatta bread, for mopping
In a medium saucepan, combine the chicken stock and porcinis. Simmer until the porcinis are tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a soup pot, heat the EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat until hot. Crumble in the sausage, then add the onion and garlic and cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Add the kale and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
Remove the porcinis from the stock and chop; stir into the soup. Stir in the stock and 2 cups water, cover and bring to a boil. Add the pasta to the soup and cook until al dente, 6 to 7 minutes. Stir in the beans and heat through. Serve in shallow bowls with lots of cheese on top and the bread for mopping.