Recipe by Janet Taylor McCracken
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 anchovy fillets
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 lbs. plum tomatoes, cored and chopped
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 lbs. littleneck or Manila clams, scrubbed
- 12 oz. spaghetti
- Chopped flat-leaf parsley
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. In a large skillet with a lid, heat the oil over medium. Add the anchovies; cook, stirring often, until the they break down, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring often, until the garlic is aromatic, about 1 minute. Add the tomato paste and stir until it turns slightly darker in color, about 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and crushed red pepper. Cook, stirring often, until the juices thicken, about 30 minutes.
2. Add the white wine; cook to reduce slightly, about 3 minutes. Add the clams. Cover and cook just until the clams open, transferring them to a large bowl as they open, about 5 minutes (discard any that don't open). Season the sauce with salt and pepper.
3. Meanwhile, salt the boiling water, add the spaghetti and cook until al dente. Drain, add the spaghetti to the skillet and toss to coat. Top with the clams and parsley.