- Prep Time
- 1 pound spaghetti or whole wheat spaghetti
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 bulb fennel with fronds--bulb cored and thinly sliced crosswise, fronds chopped
- 1 tin sardines, chopped
- 1 14 1/2 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken or seafood broth
- 1/2- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon grainy mustard
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 6 cups chopped spinach
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the spaghetti and cook until al dente. Drain.
While the pasta is working, in a large, deep skillet, heat 3 tablespoons EVOO, 3 turns of the pan, over medium heat. Add the yellow onion and garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the sliced fennel and the sardines and cook until the fennel is softened, about 7 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, chicken broth, wine, raisins and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in the butter.
In a salad bowl, whisk together the mustard and vinegar and the remaining 3 tablespoons EVOO. Add the spinach and red onion; toss.
Toss the spaghetti with the sardine-fennel sauce; top with the pine nuts and fennel fronds. Serve the salad alongside.