Recipe by Renae E. Wilson
Start to Finish: 40 minutes
- 3 slices bacon
- 1 stick plus 2 tbsp. butter, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups coarsely ground cornmeal
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk (preferably whole-milk)
- 2 large eggs, beaten
1. Preheat the oven to 450°. In a 10-inch cast-iron skillet, cook the bacon over medium-high heat, turning often, until crispy, 7 to 8 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to paper towels to drain. Let the bacon cool, then crumble it into large pieces.
2. Add the butter to the skillet. Place the skillet in the oven to melt the butter.
3. In a large bowl, whisk the cornmeal, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Add the buttermilk and eggs and stir just until combined. Fold in the crumbled bacon.
4. Remove the skillet from the oven. Swirl the skillet until coated with the butter. Pour in the batter. Bake until the cornbread is browned on top and the edges pull away from the sides of the pan, 13 to 15 minutes. Let cool.
2 Days Ahead: Make the cornbread. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.