Recipe by Rachael Ray
- 1 can (16 oz.) spicy vegetarian refried beans
- Hot sauce
- 1 bunch (8 to 10) large scallions
- Natural olive or vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 1/2 lime, juiced (about 1tbsp.)
- 1 tsp. (about 1/3 palmful) ground cumin
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper
- 6 large (10- to 12-inch) flour tortillas
- 12 oz. Monterey jack, coarsely shredded
- Pickled jalapeño slices
1. In a small saucepan, mix the beans with 1/4 cup water. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until heated through, about 3 minutes. Season with hot sauce to taste. Cover and keep warm.
2. Heat a grill pan or griddle over high. Spray the scallions with the cooking spray and cook until crisp-tender and charred in spots, 4 to 5 minutes; chop. In a medium bowl, stir the sour cream, lime juice, cumin and Worcestershire; season with salt and pepper.
3. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium to medium-high. Spray the pan with cooking spray, and cook 1 tortilla until lightly browned, about 30 seconds; turn over. On one half of the tortilla spread a few dollops of beans with the back of spoon. Top the beans with one-sixth of the cheese, a few dollops of the sour cream sauce and some chopped scallions. Fold the tortilla over, press with a spatula and cook, turning occasionally, until deep golden brown and crispy, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer the quesadilla to a cutting board and cut into 4 wedges. Repeat with the remaining tortillas and filling. Garnish with the pickled jalapeño slices. Serve any remaining sour cream sauce alongside.