- Prep Time
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus more for drizzling
- 1/2 pound chorizo, ham or leftover meat, chopped
- 2 large baking potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 4 ribs celery, chopped
- 3 - 4 carrots, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 - 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper
- 1 15 1/2 ounce can chickpeas, drained
- 1 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes or tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons hot pepper sauce
- 2 cups cubed stale bread
- Chopped flat-leaf parsley, for garnish
In a soup pot, heat 2 tablespoons EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the chorizo and cook for 2 minutes. Add the potatoes, celery, carrots, onion, garlic and bay leaf; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are softened, 7 to 8 minutes.
Add the chickpeas and season with the paprika. Stir in the chicken broth, tomatoes and hot sauce and bring to a boil, about 6 minutes. Lower the heat and simmer until the potatoes are tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
Place 1/2 cup bread cubes in each of 4 bowls and drizzle with EVOO. Pour in the soup; top with parsley.