- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 package (12 oz.) soba (buckwheat) noodles
- Ice water
- 3 sesame oil
- 3 1/2 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, caps thinly sliced (2 cups)
- Salt and pepper
- 8 ounces napa cabbage, thinly sliced (4 cups)
- 2 carrots, cut into slivers or shredded on the large holes of a box grater
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 lime, zested, plus 1 tbsp. juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon prepared fish sauce
In a large pot of boiling water, add the soba noodles, stirring to separate. Return the water to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer until the noodles are fully cooked, about 8 minutes. Drain, then plunge into an ice water bath, using your fingers to separate the noodles. Transfer to a colander and rinse with plenty of cold water until the water runs clear; drain well.
In a large skillet, drizzle in 1 1/2 tbsp. sesame oil over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until lightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
Add the cabbage, carrots, scallions, lime zest and drained noodles to the mushrooms and toss well.
In a small bowl, whisk the remaining 1 1/2 tbsp. sesame oil with the lime juice, soy sauce and fish sauce. Drizzle over the noodles; toss gently.