- 2 pounds chicken thighs
- salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons EVOO
- 4 slice bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 cubanelle pepper, halved, seeded and sliced
- 1 small fresno chile pepper, thinly sliced or 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- 3 - 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 cup dry white or red wine
- 1 32 ounce can fire-roasted crushed or stewed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- chopped parsley or celery topes, for garnishing
Pat the chicken dry and season with salt and pepper [A]. In a large cast-iron or other heavy skillet, heat the EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat until rippling. Add the chicken and cook, turning once, until well browned, about 10 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate.
Add the bacon to the skillet and cook until the fat renders, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel to drain. Add the mushrooms to the skillet; cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Add the onion, cubanelle pepper, chile and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste, then the wine. Stir in the tomatoes and stock.
Add the cooked chicken and bacon to the sauce and simmer to cook through, 5 to 6 minutes. Spoon from the pan onto plates, then top with the parsley (or celery tops).