- 4 large poblano chile peppers
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 medium portobello mushroom caps, sliced
- 4 baby yukon gold potatoes, halved and very thinly sliced into half-moons
- 1 large red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin (about 1/2 palmful)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (about 1/2 palmful)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup beer, such as Negra Modelo
- 12 corn tortillas, charred over a burner or in a dry skillet, then wrapped in foil or placed in a kitchen towel
- 2 cups shredded extra-sharp smoked cheddar or extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- Lime wedges, fresh cilantro and sour cream, for serving
Char the poblanos on a grill or under the broiler until blackened all over. Place the charred poblanos in a bowl and cover until cool enough to handle. Wipe off the charred skins; seed and thinly slice.
In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high to high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook until darkened and softened, 7 to 8 minutes. Add the potatoes, onion, garlic, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper and cook for 10 minutes longer. Deglaze the pan with the beer and stir in the poblanos.
Spoon one-quarter of the filling onto 3 corn tortillas. Repeat for 3 more servings. Sprinkle the cheese on top. Squeeze the juice of the lime wedges over each portion and top with the cilantro and sour cream.