- 10 6-inch corn tortillas (or 4 cups corn tortilla chips)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- Grated peel and juice of 1 lime
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, grated or finely chopped
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, seeded and chopped, plus 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
- 2 14 1/2 ounce can diced fire-roasted tomatoes, drained
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups corn kernels
- 2 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed
- A few dashes hot pepper sauce
- 3/4 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded smoked cheddar cheese
- 3 scallions, chopped on an angle
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 8 ounce container sour cream, for serving
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees . Stack the corn tortillas and slice them into 1-inch-thick strips; place in a medium bowl. Add 2 tablespoons oil, the cumin, coriander and lime peel; toss. Spread the tortilla strips on a baking sheet and bake until crisp and golden-brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Leave the oven on.
While the tortillas are working, in a medium skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the chipotles, adobo sauce and tomatoes; season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped. Reserve the skillet.
In another skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the corn and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden-brown, 8 to 10 minutes.
In the reserved skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Stir in 1 can black beans until heated through. Mash the beans to a paste, then stir in the remaining can of beans; season with the hot sauce and salt.
In a 9-by-13-inch baking dish, layer half of the chipotle salsa, the tortilla strips, black beans, corn, the remaining salsa and the shredded cheeses. Bake until the cheese is melted, 7 to 8 minutes. Sprinkle the baked chilaquiles with the lime juice and top with scallions and cilantro. Pass the sour cream around the table to dollop on top.