- 2 pounds skirt steak, cut into 4 pieces
- Kosher salt
- Coarsely ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon (about 1/3 palmful) each dried oregano, preferably Mexican, granulated garlic, granulated onion and smoked paprika
- A drizzle of olive oil
- 2 bunches large scallions or thin leeks
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup chipotle hot sauce, such as chipotle Tabasco, or pureed chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, cored and cut crosswise into four 1-inch-thick slabs, or 2 hearts of romaine, cored and halved lengthwise
- 1/2 pound smoked blue cheese, crumbled (I like Oscar's Smoke House, oscarsadksmokehouse.com)
- Giardiniera (hot pickled vegetables), drained and chopped
Preheat a grill or a grill pan over medium-high. Season the steak with salt, pepper and the spices; drizzle with oil. Drizzle the scallions with oil; season. Grill the steak until charred in spots, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and let rest 5 minutes. Grill the scallions, turning often, until wilted and charred in spots, 3 to 4 minutes.
For the Buffalo sauce, melt the butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring often, until aromatic, about 2 minutes. Stir in the hot sauce; pour the Buffalo sauce over the steak. Slice the steak against the grain. Slice the scallions on an angle.
Place 1 slab of lettuce on each plate. Top with the steak, then the scallions; garnish with lots of blue cheese and the giardiniera.