Recipe by Mindy Fox
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 1/4 lbs. seeded rye bread, cut into 1⁄2-inch cubes (about 16 cups)
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 12 oz. Swiss chard, center stalks diced and leaves coarsely chopped
- 2 onions, chopped (about 3 cups)
- 6 ribs celery, coarsely chopped (about 2 1/4 cups)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped fresh sage
- 2 tsp. finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1 lb. fresh sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 2 large eggs
- Nonstick cooking spray
1. Divide the bread between 2 rimmed baking sheets; spread out in a single layer and let dry, uncovered, overnight.
2. In a large, wide heavy pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the chard stalks, onions, celery, and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables soften, about 10 minutes. Stir in the chard leaves, parsley, sage, and thyme. Cook, stirring often, until the leaves wilt, about 2 minutes more; transfer to a bowl. Heat the same pot over medium-high. Add the sausage and cook, stirring occasionally and breaking it up with a spoon, until browned and cooked through, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in the chard mixture.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk the stock, eggs, 1 1/4 tsp. salt, and 1/2 tsp. pepper. Add to the sausage mixture. Stir in the bread cubes. Lightly coat the slow-cooker insert with nonstick cooking spray. Add the stuffing mixture.
4. Cover the slow cooker and cook on low until the stuffing is hot and the flavors meld, about 3 hours. Uncover and cook on high until the edges are crispy, about 1 hour.