- 1 tablespoon EVOO
- 1 pound ground lamb or beef
- Salt and pepper
- About 1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 - 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 small red chile pepper, seeded and finely chopped, or 1 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or marjoram
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1 - 1 1/2 cups chicken or beef stock
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- A small handful grated parmigiano-reggiano
- 4 ciabatta or other rolls, split and toasted
In a large skillet, heat the EVOO, 1 turn of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the lamb (or beef) and cook, crumbling the meat, until well browned, about 5 minutes. Season with salt, pepper and the cinnamon. Add the onion, garlic, chile and oregano (or marjoram) and cook, stirring, for 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste for a minute. Stir in the stock and simmer over low heat until thickened slightly, about 15 minutes.
In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Whisk in the milk and cook until thickened slightly; season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Remove the sauce from the heat and whisk in the cheese.
To serve, spoon the meat mixture onto the rolls. Top with the sauce.