- 4 small flatiron steaks (6 to 7 oz. each) or 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 lbs. flank steak, at room temperature
- Vegetable oil, for coating
- 2 teaspoons ancho (mild) or chipotle (hot) chile powder
- 1 teaspoon montreal steak seasoning or salt and pepper
- 1 large or 2 small ripe avocados, flesh scooped from the skin
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1 large clove garlic, peeled
- 1 jalapeno chile pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 2 tomatillos, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 small red onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons honey or a sprinkle sugar
- A generous sprinkle sea salt
- A small handful cilantro leaves
- A small handful fresh mint leaves
- A few sprigs thyme
- 8 flour tortillas (8 inch)
- All-natural cooking spray
Preheat an outdoor grill or grill pan to medium-high. Rub the steaks with oil, the chile powder and steak seasoning. Grill the steaks, tented loosely with foil, turning once, for 15 minutes for medium-rare. Remove from the heat and let rest.
Combine the sauce ingredients in a blender or food processor and puree until almost smooth.
Lightly spray the tortillas with cooking spray and char for a few seconds on each side on the grill or stovetop. To form each slider: Spread some sauce on each tortilla, top with very thinly sliced steak in an even layer and fold the tortilla into quarters.