- 1 small red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1 lime, juiced (about 2 tbsp.)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped or grated
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar or white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Chipotle Tabasco or pureed chipotle in adobo, to taste
- 1 clove garlic, minced or pasted
- 1 teaspoon honey
- About 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 4 hanger, skirt or flatiron steaks (6 to 7 oz. each)
- 1 head romaine lettuce, trimmed and sliced 1 1/2 inches thick
- 1 bunch upland cress or watercress
- About 1/4 cup pickled jalapeno rings or banana pepper rings
- 2 cups thick-cut or ridged BBQ potato chips
- 1 cup thick shreds or curls smoked cheddar or pepper jack
For the pickled onions, in a small bowl, toss the onion and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper; let stand.
Preheat a grill or griddle pan over medium-high.
For the dressing, in a large bowl, whisk the shallot, 3 tbsp. oil, vinegar, Tabasco, garlic, honey and cumin; season.
Season the steaks; drizzle with oil. Grill, turning occasionally, until the steaks are crispy and browned on the outside but still tender in the center, 8 minutes for hanger steak or flatiron, 5 to 6 minutes for skirt steaks. Let rest 10 minutes, then slice against the grain.
Toss the pickled onions, greens, jalapeno rings, chips and cheese with the dressing. Divide the salad among plates; top with the sliced steak.