- 8 slices bacon
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup chopped mixed fresh herbs, such as parsley, chives and dill
- 2 - 3 tablespoons freshly grated or prepared horseradish (preferably Gold's)
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- Salt and coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds flank or flatiron steaks, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- EVOO, for drizzling
- Watercress or upland cress
- Sliced tomato
- Thinly sliced red onion
- 4 pieces baguette (8-10 inches each), split
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees . Arrange the bacon on a broiler pan or parchment-lined baking sheet; bake until crisp, 15 to 18 minutes. In a medium bowl, mix the sour cream, herbs, horseradish and garlic. Add the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
Meanwhile, heat an outdoor grill or cast-iron skillet over medium-high. Season the steak with Worcestershire and salt and pepper; drizzle with EVOO. Cook to desired doneness, about 6 minutes per side for medium-rare. Let rest 10 minutes; thinly slice against the grain.
Divide baguette bottoms among plates. Top with the sliced steak, bacon, watercress, tomato and onion. Add baguette tops slathered with the horseradish sauce.