- 12 slices good-quality smoky bacon
- 1 1/4 pounds 1-inch-thick flank or flatiron steak, at room temperature
- steak seasoning (optional)
- coarse salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup EVOO, plus more for drizzling
- 4 jalapeno chile peppers, seeded
- 1 shallot or 1/4 red onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 large cloves
- 1 cup loosely packed cliantro
- 1 cup loosely packed flat-leaf parsley
- 2 - 3 sprigs marjoram or oregano, or 1 tsp dried (about 1/3 palmful)
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 8 slices whole grain or white bread, toasted
- 1 bunch watercress, stemmed
- 1 large tomato, thickly sliced
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees . Arrange the bacon on a broiler pan and bake until crisp, 15 to 18 minutes.
Meanwhile,preheat a cast-iron skillet or griddle over medium-high heat. Season the steak with the steak seasoning, if using (otherwise, use coarse salt and pepper), and drizzle with a little EVOO. Grill the meat, turning once, for 8 minutes for medium-rare. Remove from the heat and let rest, then thinly slice on an angle agains t the grain.
Using a food processor, pulse 1/3 cup EVOO, the chiles, shallot (or onion), garlic, cilantro, parsley, marjoram (or oregano), lime juice and vinegar into a chimichurri sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
To serve, arrange the sliced steak on the toast. Top with the watercress, bacon, tomato, lots of chimichurri and the remaining toast.