- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 1 pound loaf country white bread, torn into 3/4-inch pieces (about 10 cups)
- 1 stick (4 oz.) butter
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 ribs celery, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
Place racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven; preheat to 300 degrees . Divide the bread between 2 rimmed baking sheets. Bake, stirring bread and switching sheets halfway through baking, until bread is toasted, about 20 minutes. Let cool; transfer to a large bowl. Increase the oven temperature to 375 degrees .
In a skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the onions, celery, 1 1/2 tsp. salt and 1 tsp. pepper. Cook, stirring, until the vegetables are soft, about 8 minutes.
In a large bowl, whisk together the broth and the eggs. Pour over the bread. Add the vegetables and herbs; toss to combine.
Transfer the stuffing to a greased shallow 3-qt. baking dish. Bake until the top is browned, about 45 minutes.