Recipe by Janet Taylor McCracken
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 1/2 lbs. beefsteak or red or purple heirloom tomatoes, 1 lb. cored and halved, 1/2 lb. cored and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 cup grits
- 1 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 tsp. lemon zest and 2 tbsp. juice from 1 lemon, plus 1 lemon cut into wedges for serving
- 6 tbsp. butter
- 2 lbs. medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 large shallots (about 2 oz. each), finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño, finely chopped
- Chopped fresh chives, for garnish
1. In a blender, puree the halved tomatoes, the garlic and 3 cups water. Transfer to a large saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-high. Gradually whisk in the grits, season with salt and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring often, until tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in the cheese and lemon zest; season with salt and pepper.
2. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, melt 3 tbsp. butter over medium-high heat. Season the shrimp. Working in 2 batches, cook the shrimp until just opaque in the centers, about 2 minutes per side, transferring to a bowl between batches. Return all the shrimp to the skillet, add the lemon juice and toss to coat; return to the bowl.
3. Add the remaining 3 tbsp. butter, the red bell pepper, shallots and jalapeño to the skillet. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Fold in the chopped tomato and season. Divide the grits among bowls; top with the red pepper mixture and the shrimp. Garnish with the chives and serve with the lemon wedges.