- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion plus 1/3 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Salt and pepper
- Grated peel of 1 lime plus 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley
- 8 large flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (about 8 ounces)
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 2 avocados, chopped
In a medium nonstick skillet, cook the chopped onion in 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat for 5 minutes. Add the shrimp, season with salt and pepper and cook until just opaque, 2 to 3 minutes. Let the shrimp cool slightly, then coarsely chop; toss with half of the lime peel, lime juice and parsley.
Place a tortilla on a work surface and sprinkle with 1/4 cup cheese. Top with 1/4 cup corn, one-quarter of the shrimp mixture and another 1/4 cup cheese; season with salt and pepper and set another tortilla on top. Repeat with the remaining tortillas, cheese, corn and shrimp mixture to make 4 quesadillas.
In a medium skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-low heat. Add a quesadilla to the pan and cook, turning once, until crisp, about 3 minutes. Repeat with the remaining olive oil and quesadillas. Let cool slightly; cut into wedges.
In a medium bowl, combine the sliced onion and the avocado. Toss with the remaining lime peel, lime juice and parsley; season with salt and pepper. Serve with the quesadillas.
Read Now: How to Pick the Perfect Avocado