- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 cups dried pinto beans
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 jalapeno chilestemmed, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 12 ounce bottle Shiner Bock beer or other amber ale, such as Dos Equis
- 2 tablespoons chopped chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
- 1 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
In a large pot or Dutch oven, bring the beans and enough water to cover by 1 inch to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat, cover and let stand for 1 hour. Drain and rinse the pinto beans, return to the pot and add water to cover by 1 inch. Add the onion, garlic, jalapeno and bay leaves and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer, partially covered, for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
Stir in the beer and simmer until the beans are tender and creamy, about 30 minutes. Discard the bay leaves and stir in the chipotle chiles, vinegar and cilantro; season with salt.