- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound whole wheat linguine pasta or soba noodles
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 pound shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 large or 3 medium leeks--halved lengthwise, cut into thin matchsticks and well-rinsed
- 1 1 1/2 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and sliced into thin matchsticks or finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 cup shelled edamame
- 1/2 cup sake or dry sherry
- About 3 tablespooons black sesame seeds or sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain, reserving 1 cup of the pasta cooking water.
In a large, deep skillet, heat the oil, 4 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the shiitakes and cook until browned, about 7 minutes. Add the leeks and wilt for 2 minutes, then stir in the ginger and garlic for 1 minute. Stir in the edamame to heat through. Stir in the sake and season liberally with salt and pepper.
Stir the pasta and reserved pasta cooking water into the skillet, then add the sesame seeds and sesame oil. Turn off the heat and toss for 1 full minute.