- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1/2 a 1-pound loaf country bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (4 cups)
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- Salt and pepper
- 5 ounces bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 pears, cored and cut into 1/4-inch matchsticks
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 4 cups baby arugula
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon or whole thyme leaves
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees . Scatter the bread cubes and pine nuts on a baking sheet and toss with the butter; season with salt and pepper. Spread in a single layer and bake, stirring halfway through, until golden, about 10 minutes. Let cool.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet, crisp the bacon over medium heat for about 12 minutes. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate. Pour out all but 1 1/2 teaspoons of the drippings and reserve in a bowl. Return the pan to medium-high heat.
Add the pears, season with salt and cook until just beginning to brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl with the bread, pine nuts, bacon and shallots.
Whisk the vinegar into the reserved bacon drippings. Pour the dressing over the pear mixture, add the arugula and tarragon and toss.