- 3 tablespoons EVOO
- 2 teaspoons anchovy paste or 4 flat anchovy fillets
- 4 ears corn, kernels scraped from the cob
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- About 1/3 cup white vermouth or 1/4 cup Pernod
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- Salt and black or white pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh tarragon leaves, chopped
- 16 large sea scallops, trimmed and patted dry
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Microgreens or pea shoots, for garnish
In a large skillet, heat the EVOO, 3 turns of the pan, over medium to medium-high heat. Add the anchovy paste (or fillets) to melt into the oil. Add the corn kernels and their liquid and lightly brown them, about 5 minutes. Stir in the shallots and garlic for 2 minutes, then stir in the vermouth (or Pernod). Stir in the cream and season with a little pepper, then lower the heat to medium-low and stir until thickened, about 10 minutes. Add the tarragon and simmer on low heat for a few minutes.
While the creamed corn is cooking, heat a large cast-iron skillet or other heavy pan over high heat. Season the scallops with salt and pepper. Lightly coat the pan with vegetable oil and add the scallops. Cook, turning once, until caramelized to a dark golden color, 4 to 5 minutes.
Serve the creamed corn in shallow bowls. Top with 4 scallops per serving and garnish with the microgreens.