Recipe by Rachael Ray
Start with this basic recipe, then choose one of the below topping recipes. These three savory takes on French toast make a satisfying supper.
Try our Simple Creamed Spinach Sauce
- 6 large organic eggs (I like Araucana with green shells)
- 1 cup (a couple of generous handfuls) freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1 cup half-and-half or heavy cream
- About 1 tbsp. freshly stripped thyme leaves
- Freshly grated or ground nutmeg, about 1/8 tsp. or to taste
- Salt and pepper
- 8 slices (1/2 to 3/4 inch thick) stale, good-quality white peasant or Italian bread
- 4 tbsp. butter
1. Preheat the oven to 200°. In a shallow bowl or dish, whisk the eggs, cheese, half-and-half, thyme and nutmeg; season with salt and pepper.
2. Heat a large griddle or cast-iron skillet over medium. Working with 2 slices of bread at a time, soak the bread in the egg mixture, about 20 seconds on each side. Melt 1 tbsp. butter in the griddle for each batch of French toast; lift the bread from the dish and let the excess egg batter drain. Cook the toast until it is deeply golden on each side and springs back when pressed with your finger, about 2 minutes per side. Place in the oven or tent with foil to keep warm.
3. Add your topping of choice.