- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 package (12 oz.) fully cooked Italian chicken sausage, sliced on an angle, 1/4 inch thick
- 2 cups thinly sliced onion
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 bag (8 oz.) assorted-color mini sweet peppers -- stemmed, seeded and sliced
- 2 ounces Asiago cheese, shredded (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 jar (15 to 16 oz.) giardiniera, drained, chopped (2 cups)
- 4 multigrain torpedo-shaped sandwich rolls (4 oz. each), split and toasted
In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tsp. oil over medium-high. Add the sausages and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
In the same skillet, heat the remaining 2 tsp. oil over medium-high. Add the onion, garlic, oregano and crushed red pepper. Cook, stirring often, until the onion and garlic soften, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in the sweet peppers and cook, stirring often, until they soften, about 4 minutes longer; season with salt and pepper. Add the sausage and cook, stirring often, until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat, add the cheese and stir until melted, about 1 minute.
Spread 1/2 cup giardiniera on each roll bottom. Divide the sausage and vegetable mixture among the roll bottoms; add the roll tops.