- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1/2 pound hot Italian sausage
- 1/2 pound sweet Italian sausage
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup chopped zucchini
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 pound cheese tortellini
- Shredded parmesan cheese, for serving
- Crusty bread, for serving
In a Dutch oven or large, deep skillet, combine the sausage and onion and cook over medium-high heat, breaking up the sausage, until the meat is browned, about 10 minutes. Drain any excess oil. Add the beef broth, tomatoes, wine, carrots, celery, ketchup and garlic and cook until the vegetables are softened, about 20 minute.
Stir in the zucchini, bell pepper and parsley; season with salt and pepper and simmer until the bell pepper is softened, about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling water, cook the tortellini until just shy of al dente, 10 minutes. Drain.
Stir the tortellini into the soup. Serve with the parmesan and crusty bread.