- 2 tablespoons EVOO, plus more for frying
- 1/2 pound andouille sausage, casings removed, meat diced
- 1 red or green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 ribs celery with leafy tops, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 pound large shrimp--peeled, deveined and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce, such as Franks RedHot
- 1/2 cup crisp-tasting beer (think of a use for the rest)
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup quick-cooking polenta
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 extra-large organic eggs
In a large skillet, heat 2 tbsp. EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook until browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the bell pepper, celery, onion and garlic; season with salt, pepper and the thyme. Cook until crisp-tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the shrimp and cook until pink, 2 to 3 minutes. Douse with the hot sauce and deglaze the pan with the beer.
Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, heat the chicken stock to a boil, then lower the heat and gradually whisk in the polenta. Cook, whisking, until it masses together and is thick yet not too stiff, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the honey and butter, then turn off the heat.
In a skillet, fry the eggs to your liking in a little EVOO.
To serve, pour the polenta into shallow bowls and shape a well in the center of each; fill the wells with the shrimp hash. Top with the eggs.