- Salt and pepper
- 1 large head broccoli rabe, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 pound bulk hot or sweet Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 32 ounce container (4 cups) chicken stock
- 1 28 ounce can stewed or diced tomatoes, with their juices
- 1 15 ounce can white beans, rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups small, short-cut orecchiette pasta
- Grated pecorino-romano cheese, for topping
Bring a medium pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the broccoli rabe and boil for 3 minutes. Drain and let cool.
In a soup pot, heat the EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook, crumbling with a spoon, until browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Season with the nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste. Add the chicken stock, tomatoes and their juices and 2 cups water; cover and bring to a boil. Stir in the white beans and cooked broccoli rabe and return to a boil. Add the pasta and cook, stirring occasionally, until al dente. Top with the cheese.