- 2 tablespoons EVOO
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 3/4 lb. red cabbage, very thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon superfine sugar
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1/2 cup organic apple cider
- 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 6 gingersnap cookies, processed into crumbs
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef (80% to 85% lean), at room temperature
- 1/4 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 3 tablespoons grated onion
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 2 tablespoons spicy mustard
- EVOO, for drizzling
- 8 slices pumpernickel bread or 4 split sourdough rolls, toasted
- Salt-and-vinegar potato chips, for serving
Make the cabbage: In a large skillet, heat the EVOO over medium-high heat. Stir in the caraway seeds for 30 seconds. Add the cabbage and season with the sugar, vinegar, salt and pepper. Partially cover and cook, stirring frequently, until tender.
Make the gravy: In a medium skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour for 1 minute, then whisk in the stock, cider and worcestershire. Whisk in the gingersnap crumbs to thicken. Lower the heat and keep warm.
Make the burgers: In a large bowl, combine the beef, parsley, onion, relish and mustard. Form 4 patties, slightly thinner at the center and thicker at the edges for even cooking. In a large cast-iron or other heavy skillet, heat a drizzle of EVOO over medium-high heat. Add the burgers and cook, turning once, for 8 minutes. Transfer the burgers to the gravy and turn over to coat.
Place the burgers on the bread or roll bottoms and top with the cabbage and bread or roll tops. Serve with the chips.