- 1/2 cup chunky peanut butter
- 1/4 cup apple juice, apple cider or pineapple juice
- 3 tablespoons tamari (dark soy sauce)
- 1 tablespoon asian chili-garlic sauce or sriracha
- 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey or chicken
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, grated or finely chopped
- 1 piece (1 1/2 inches) fresh ginger, grated or finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Vegetable oil, for coating
- 8 slider-size soft rolls, such as Pepperidge Farm, or brioche dinner rolls, split
- Shredded cabbage or iceberg lettuce
- Sliced chile peppers, such as fresnos, or thinly sliced radishes
- Mint or cilantro leaves
Preheat an outdoor grill or grill pan to medium-high. Heat the peanut butter to soften in the microwave, in a small pot over medium heat or on the grill. Stir in the juice (or cider) to sweeten, the tamari for salt and the chili-garlic sauce for heat.
Mix the meat with the scallions, garlic and ginger; season with salt and pepper. Form into 8 patties and coat with a little oil. Grill, turning once, until cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes. Douse with lots of satay sauce and serve on the rolls with the toppings of your choice.