Recipe by Janet Taylor McCracken
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 baguette
- 18 oz. (about 3 large) very ripe red tomatoes, cored and quartered
- 1 tbsp. sherry vinegar
- 1 small clove garlic
- 1/2 cup fruity EVOO, plus more for drizzling
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- Chopped Serrano ham (optional)
1. Cut off a 4-inch piece from the baguette. Tear into bite-size pieces (you should have about 2 cups); transfer to a blender. Add 1/2 cup water to the blender and let stand until the bread softens, about 10 minutes.
2. Add the tomatoes, vinegar and garlic; pulse to blend. With the machine running, gradually add 1/2 cup EVOO and process until very smooth, about 3 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Cover and chill until cold, about 4 hours. Thin with cold water if too thick.
3. Preheat the oven to 400°. Slice the remaining bread on a sharp angle; arrange on a baking sheet and bake until toasted, about 13 minutes. Drizzle with EVOO. Divide the soup among bowls; top with the hard-boiled eggs and ham. Drizzle with EVOO. Serve with the toasts.