- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup orzo pasta
- 1 1/2 cups rice
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 pinches saffron threads
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 pounds mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 1 ounce peas
- 1/3 cup grape tomatoes (a generous handful), quartered
- 1/3 cup flat-leaf parsley (a generous handful), coarsely chopped
In a large skillet with a tight-fitting lid, heat the EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, 2 minutes. Stir in the garlic and season with salt and pepper. Stir in the orzo, increase the heat to medium-high and cook until slightly browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the rice, turmeric and saffron. Add the wine and cook for 30 seconds, then add the stock and cover. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer until the rice is al dente, 7 to 8 minutes.
Stir in the mussels, peas and tomatoes, cover and cook until all the mussels have opened, 8 to 10 minutes (discard any unopened mussels). Serve the pilaf in shallow bowls and top with the parsley.