- Prep Time
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 6 large portobello mushroom caps, thinly sliced
- 2 ounces dried porcini mushrooms
- 6 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 cups instant or quick-cooking polenta
- 1 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese (4 generous handfuls)
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, plus more for seasoning
- 1/2 cup marsala wine (eyeball it)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Flat-leaf parsley, chopped (a generous handful)
In a large skillet, heat the EVOO, 5 turns of the pan, over medium to medium-high heat. Add the portobello mushrooms and cook until tender, about 12 minutes. Set the skillet aside.
In a saucepan, simmer the dried porcinis in the vegetable broth until softened, about 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the porcinis to a cutting board. Chop and set aside. Pour the broth into a bowl, discarding any grit at the bottom of the pan; wipe out the pan. Return the broth to the pan, add the polenta and stir until thick, about 2 minutes. Stir in the cheese and pepper. Keep warm.
Add the marsala to the skillet with the portobellos; season with salt and pepper. Stir in the reserved chopped porcinis.
Ladle the polenta into bowls. Top with the mushrooms and parsley.