- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 12 tomatillos (about 1 1/2 lbs.), husks discarded, rinsed
- 2 fresh anaheim or poblano chiles
- 1 onion, cut into 4 or 5 thick slices
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed and peeled
- EVOO for brushing
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup small sprigs cilantro
- 1 lime, juiced
Preheat the broiler and cover a large rimmed baking sheet with foil. Arrange the tomatillos, chiles, onion and garlic on the baking sheet. Brush the onion and garlic with EVOO; season with salt and pepper. Broil for 10 to 15 minutes, turning the vegetables occasionally and removing the pieces when charred and tender. Let cool. Peel and seed the chiles.
Using a food processor, coarsely puree the chiles, tomatillos, onion, garlic and cilantro. Add the lime juice; season with salt and pepper.