- Canola oil, for frying
- Flour, for breading chicken
- Salt and pepper
- 3 eggs
- 1 sleeve Ritz crackers, whizzed into crumbs in food processor
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1 rounded tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion
- 20 chicken breast tenders
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup sriracha
- 2 tablespoons dark, aged soy sauce or tamari
- Finely chopped scallions, for garnish
- Celery sticks and hot giardiniera (Italian pickled vegetables), for serving
In a wide skillet, add a shallow layer of oil; heat over medium to medium-high.
Set up three shallow dishes: Place some flour in the first dish; season with salt and pepper. In the second dish, whisk the eggs with salt and pepper. In the third dish, mix the cracker crumbs, cheese, paprika and granulated garlic and onion.
Dredge the chicken in the flour, dip in the egg, then coat in the cracker mixture, pressing to adhere. Working in batches, fry the chicken until browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes per side. (If the coating gets too brown before the chicken is done, transfer the chicken to a baking sheet, cover with foil and bake at 350° until cooked through.)
In a small bowl, mix the ketchup with the sriracha and soy sauce. Arrange the chicken on a platter; sprinkle with the scallions. Serve with the sriracha-soy ketchup, celery sticks and giardiniera.