- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound rigatoni pasta
- 1 1/2 pounds ground lamb
- 2 tablespoons EVOO, plus more for drizzling
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds (about 1/3 palmful)
- 1 fresh red chile pepper (such as fresno, cherry or finger), seeded and finely chopped
- 1 small carrot, grated or finely chopped
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 3 - 4 cloves garlic, grated or finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried or 1 tbsp. finely chopped fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- Chopped flat-leaf parsley, for topping
- Grated pecorino-romano cheese, for serving
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup pasta cooking water. While the pasta is working, pat the lamb dry with paper towels.
2. In a large dutch oven, heat 2 tbsp. EVOO over medium-high heat. Add the lamb and cook, breaking up the meat, until browned; season with salt, pepper and the fennel seeds. Stir in the carrot, shallot, garlic, rosemary, oregano and orange zest. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring. Stir in the tomato paste for 1 minute, then the chicken stock and wine. Bring to a bubble, then lower the heat.
3. Toss the pasta with the sauce and reserved cooking water for 1 minute. Top with a drizzle of EVOO and the parsley. Serve with the cheese.