- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound rigatoni rigate
- A generous handful dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock or water (for vegetarians)
- 3 tablespoons EVOO
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 pound cremini or mixed fresh mushrooms of your choice, sliced
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 - 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 7 - 8 sage leaves, thinly sliced
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup marsala or dry white wine
- A generous handful grated pecorino-romano or parmigiano-reggiano
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain, reserving 1 cup of the pasta cooking water.
While the pasta is working, in a small saucepan, cover the porcinis with the stock (or water). Bring to a simmer. Drain, reserving the stock; coarsely chop.
In a large skillet or dutch oven, heat the EVOO over medium-high heat. Add the butter to melt. Add the creminis and cook until browned, 10 to 12 minutes.
Meanwhile, in another saucepan, heat the milk to barely a simmer. Remove from the heat; cover.
Add the carrot, onion, garlic, thyme, sage and bay leaf to the cooked creminis; season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste for 1 minute. Stir in the marsala, porcinis, 1 cup of the porcini stock and the milk; simmer.
Add the pasta and reserved pasta water to the sauce. Stir in the cheese.