Recipe by Mindy Fox
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- Makes 1 quartServings
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 large leafy sprig fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/4 cup dry marsala, Madeira, or sherry
- 1 qt. chicken, turkey, or vegetable stock
- 1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion, thyme, and bay leaf; season with pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion begins to soften, about 5 minutes.
2. Sprinkle the our over the onion mixture; stir to combine. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally and reducing heat as necessary to prevent the our from burning, until the mixture smells nutty and is medium golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes.
3. Drizzle in the marsala and cook, stirring constantly, until well blended, about 1 minute. Add 1 cup of the stock, 1/4 cupful at a time, stirring to combine between each addition, then stir in the remaining stock. Simmer, stirring often, until the gravy thickens, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
4. Discard the thyme and bay leaf, leaving any thyme leaves in gravy. Stir in the Worcestershire sauce. Season the gravy with salt and pepper.