- Prep Time
- 4 1 1/2 inches thick strip steaks (about 1 pound each), at room temperature
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (about 1 palmful)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (about 1/3 palmful)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup strong brewed coffee
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce (eyeball it)
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup quick-cooking polenta
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped chives
Heat a large cast-iron skillet over high heat or preheat an outdoor grill to high. Season the steaks with salt and pepper and, working in batches, cook, turning once, for 8 minutes for medium-rare. Let rest.
While steaks are cooking, in a large skillet, heat the EVOO, 1 turn of the pan, over mediumhigh heat. Add the red onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper; add the chili powder and oregano. Stir in the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute, then whisk in the beef broth, coffee and Worcestershire sauce. Keep warm over low heat.
In a medium saucepan, bring the milk and chicken broth to a boil. Lower the heat to low and whisk in the polenta. Cook until thickened, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the cheese, chives and hot sauce; season with salt and pepper. Cover and remove from the heat.
Pour the gravy over the steaks and serve with the polenta.