Recipe by Rebecca Jurkevich
Start to Finish: 35 minutes (plus 3 hours for baking and cooling)
1 1/4 cups superfine sugar
2 tsp. cornstarch
1/4 tsp. ground cardamom
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
5 large egg whites, at room temperature
1/4 cup chopped shelled raw pistachios
1/2 tsp. distilled white vinegar
2 cups hulled strawberries or other seasonal fruit (14 to 16 oz.)
3 to 4 tbsp. sugar
1 1/4 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup crème fraîche
2 tsp. lemon zest plus 1 tbsp. juice (from 1 lemon)
1. Position a rack in the bottom third of the oven; preheat to 250°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a small bowl, mix the superfine sugar, cornstarch, and cardamom. Using a knife, scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean into the bowl; mix well. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the egg whites until foamy. With the mixer running, gradually add the sugar mixture, 1 tbsp. at a time, beating until the meringue is glossy, about 5 minutes. Add the pistachios and vinegar; using a spatula, fold until blended.
2. Spoon the meringue into the center of the baking sheet; spread into an 8-inch round, creating swirls as you spread. Form a shallow well in the center. Bake until crisp on the outside but tender on the inside, about 2 hours. Let the meringue cool on the baking sheet on a wire rack.
3. For the topping, in a medium bowl, toss the fruit with the sugar. Let stand until the fruit releases juices, about 20 minutes.
4. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the cream until firm peaks form. Fold in the crème fraîche and lemon zest and juice.
5. Transfer the meringue to a platter. Fill the center with the whipped cream. Top with the fruit.