- 2 medium to large zucchini, halved lengthwise and seeds scraped out with a spoon
- Cooking spray
- Salt and pepper
- 1 eggplant, finely diced
- 3 tablespoons EVOO
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 3 - 4 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 roasted red pepper or small bell pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 cup drained canned diced Italian tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 1 1 pound ball fresh mozzarella chees-patted dry, cut into quarters, then thinly sliced
- 4 cherry tomatoes, thinly sliced
- A few fresh basil leaves, torn
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees . Arrange the zucchini on a baking sheet, cut side down; coat with cooking spray and season with salt and pepper. Roast until softened and beginning to brown, 8 to 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, salt the eggplant and let it sweat on a kitchen towel for a few minutes. In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, warm the EVOO, three turns of the pan. Add the onion, garlic, roasted red pepper, thyme and crushed red pepper; season. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add the eggplant, partially cover and cook until very tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Stir in the diced tomatoes.
Remove the zucchini from the oven; fill with the vegetable mixture. Sprinkle with the grated cheese, then top with the sliced mozzarella. Garnish each pizza with a few tomato slices. Return to the oven and bake until the cheese begins to brown, 5 to 8 minutes. Garnish with the basil. Cut into pieces if desired.