- 1 pound rigatoni
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), 4 turns of the pan
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 pound zucchini, diced
- 1 pound eggplant, diced
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- Freshly ground pepper
- 3 whole roasted red peppers, fresh, or canned, drained
- 1/2 cup dry white wine, chicken stock or vegetable stock (a couple of glugs)
- 1 15 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- A handful of flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 10 leaves fresh basil, shredded or torn
- Grated Parmigiano-Reggiano or Pecorino Romano cheese
- Crusty bread, to pass around at the table
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add salt and then cook the pasta until al dente.
While the pasta is working, heat a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add the EVOO (4 turns of the pan), garlic, zucchini, eggplant and onion. Season the vegetables with salt and pepper and cook for 10 minutes, giving the skillet a good shake, often.
Coarsely chop the roasted red peppers and add them to a food processor. Puree the peppers until almost smooth.
Deglaze the veggies with the wine, then stir in the roasted red pepper puree and tomatoes. Heat the sauce through and adjust the salt and pepper. Simmer the sauce for 5 minutes, then drain the pasta and add it to the skillet. Toss the sauce and pasta together with the chopped parsley and basil. Serve with grated cheese and crusty bread.