- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 eggplant, peeled lengthwise in 2 places to make stripes and sliced lengthwise 1/2 inch thick
- 1 zucchini, sliced lengthwise 1/2 inch thick
- Salt and pepper
- Herbes de Provence
- 2 bell peppers, quartered lengthwise
- 1 loaf ciabatta bread, split horizontally
- 8 slices Swiss or fontina cheese
- 2 cups arugula leaves
- 1/3 cup store-bought olive tapenade
Heat a grill or grill pan over medium heat. In a small saucepan, combine the EVOO and garlic and heat on the grill (or on the stovetop over medium heat).
Brush the eggplant and zucchini on both sides with the garlic oil; season with salt, pepper and herbes de Provence. Place on the grill along with the bell peppers and cook, turning once, until crisp-tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
Arrange the vegetables on the bread loaf bottom and top with the cheese and arugula. Spread the bread top with the tapenade and set in place. Place the sandwich on the grill and cover with 2 bricks covered in foil or place in a skillet piled with heavy cans. Press the sandwich until crisp on top, about 2 minutes. Flip and repeat. Cut into 4 portions.