- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium zucchini (1 1/4 lbs. total), seeded and chopped
- 1 firm, large eggplant (about 1 lb.), diced
- 1 red pepper, such as bell or field pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 12 - 14 cocktail tomatoes (such as Campari), quartered, or 1 pt. cherry tomatoes, halved
- A few leaves of basil, torn
- 3 cups vegetable stock or chicken stock
- 1 cup quick-cooking polenta
- 1 ear corn, husked, kernels cut from cob
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 3 tablespoons butter
In a large skillet with a lid, heat the oil, three turns of the pan, over medium-high. Add the zucchini, eggplant, pepper, onion, garlic and thyme; season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables soften, 5 to 6 minutes. Add the tomatoes and basil. Partially cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the ratatouille is tender, 10 to 12 minutes more.
In a large saucepan, bring the stock to a boil over medium-high. Gradually whisk in the polenta, add the corn and season. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, whisking constantly, until the polenta is thick, about 3 minutes. Stir in the cheese and butter.
Divide the polenta among 4 bowls. Make a well in the center of each; fill with the ratatouille.